By Cynthia Wall
- Contributes to present debates within the box on matters equivalent to the general public sphere, shuttle and exploration, medical rhetoric, gender and the ebook exchange, and old as opposed to literary perceptions of existence on London streets.
- Searches out connections among the impressive variety of new genres that seemed within the eighteenth century.
- Crosses traditional disciplinary strains.
- Demonstrates that philosophy, historical past, politics and social conception either effect and are inspired by way of literature.
Read or Download A Concise Companion to the Restoration and Eighteenth Century PDF
Best british & irish contemporary literature books
The overdue sixteenth-century penal debt bond, which allowed an unhappy creditor to grab the physique of his debtor, set in movement a chain of precedents that may form the criminal, philosophical, and ethical factor of property-in-person in England and the US for hundreds of years. targeting this ancient juncture at which debt litigation used to be no longer basically a side of society yet looked as if it would engulf it thoroughly, Of Bondage examines a tradition that understood cash and the physique of the borrower as similar varieties of estate that impinged on each other in the intervening time of default.
Reminiscence, Narrative and the good battle presents an in depth exam of the various and intricate struggle writings of a comparatively marginal determine, Patrick MacGill, inside a normal framework of our present pre-occupation with blood, dust and soreness. specifically, it seeks to give an explanation for how his interpretation of battle shifted from the heroic wartime autobiographical trilogy, with its emphasis on 'the romance of the rifleman' to the pessimistic and guilt-ridden interpretations in his post-war novel, worry!
In the course of the early glossy interval in England, social expectancies for males got here less than severe strain - the armed knight went into decline and humanism seemed. right here, unique essays learn a wide-range of violent acts in literature and tradition, from civic violence to chivalric wrestle to brawls and battles.
Delivering the 1st book-length attention of Edward Upward (1903-2009), one of many significant British left-wing writers, this assortment positions his lifestyles and works within the altering inventive, social and political contexts of the 20 th and early twenty-first centuries. Upward’s fiction and non-fiction, from the Twenties onwards, illustrate the thematic and formal richness of left-wing writing throughout the twentieth-century age of extremes.
- Food, Drink, and the Written Word in Britain, 1820–1945 (Warwick Series in the Humanities)
- Race and Identity in D. H. Lawrence: Indians, Gypsies, and Jews
- Brian Friel’s “Translations”. Irish Drama and literature in transition: a new conscience of Irish culture and identity at the end of the 20th century (German Edition)
- Contemporary Crisis Fictions: Affect and Ethics in the Modern British Novel
- Postcolonial Traumas: Memory, Narrative, Resistance
- Reflecting on Darwin
Extra info for A Concise Companion to the Restoration and Eighteenth Century
A Concise Companion to the Restoration and Eighteenth Century by Cynthia Wall